Habit 1 - Be Proactive
"Little kindnesses go a long way."
*Be responsible for the choices you make.
*Pause before you react to a situation. Think about how you can respond in a more effective way.
* Use proactive language: "I will.", "I choose.", "I control my own feelings."
Habit 2 - Begin With the End in Mind
"No one can go back and make a brand-new start, my friend, but anyone can start from here and make a brand-new end." - Dan Zodna
* Plan what you want to be successful at and create a plan on how you can achieve it.
* Create a personal or family mission statement with the Mission Statement Builder
* Focus on what you want your relationships to look like.
Habit 3 - Put First Things First
" Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least."
* Set priorities.
* Plan you week ahead of time.
* Put important things first.
Habit 4 - Think Win-Win
" One of the biggest things I've learned is that I don't always have to be right." - J.B. Swartz
* Respect others and be considerate of their feelings.
* Build positive relationships.
* Make meaningful "deposits" in others' Emotional Bank Accounts.
Habit 5 - Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
" Listen with the intent to understand."
* Solve problems by listening to others when they speak.
* Listen with the intent to understand.
* Use empathetic language: "You seem..." "So as you see it..." "You must have felt..." "What I'm hearing is..."
Habit 6 - Synergize
* Listen to all the viewpoints before making a decision.
* Create a better way together.
* Be humble. You do need to have the right answer.
Habit 7 - Sharpen the Saw
"Sharpening the saw is the single highest activity leverage activity because it affects everything else so powerfully."
* Increase your effectiveness by taking care of yourself:
Physically: get enough sleep, eat right, and exercise
Mentally: keep a journal, read a lot, develop a hobby, & exercise your mind
Emotionally: build family relationships, create new friendships, & forgive others
Spiritually: read inspirational books, volunteer your time, and review your Personal Mission Statement
Habit 8 - Find Your Voice
"Find your voice and inspire others to find theirs."
* Find your personal leadership potential - you have the responsibility to help others find their great potential too! See the strengths in others and yourself!
*You were given magnificent “birth-gifts”: privileges, intelligences, opportunities, - that would remain unopened except through your own decision and effort. Open these gifts!
Leader in Me Parent Guide: parent_guide1.0.pdf