Mrs. Acerra School Nurse
Welcome to Ardena's "Nurses Notes"
The Health Office at Ardena School is typically a busy place. Some of the reasons your children are seen here are: Illness - Children complain when they are not feeling well in class. Parents are notified for fever (temperature 100 oral), vomiting, diarrhea, persistent cough and congestion, sore throat, rashes,etc. Please keep your child home for the above reasons. Children should be free from fever, vomiting and diarrhea for 24 hours before
returning to school.Those diagnosed by the pediatrician with a contagious infection (pink
eye, strep throat) should have a note from physician and be on the antibiotic prescribed a minimum of 24 hours before returning to school. Antibiotics are not to be given at school.
Good hygiene techniques such as hand washing, covering nose and mouth, use of tissues and adhering to the above guidelines will help prevent the spread of infection to others.
Injury - If your child is hurt in school he or she will be seen in the health office for treatment. Most injuries are minors scrapes that only require minimal first aid. You will be notified if deemed necessary or if follow up evaluation is needed.
Screenings - Height, weight,vision, hearing, and blood pressure are ongoing throughout the school year. A referral will be sent home to parent for any deviation from the normal parameters.If you receive a referral please schedule the appropriate evaluation for your child. Return the referral form when completed by the physician. Call the health office if you have any questions about the referral. Scoliosis screening of 5th grade students is done in the spring with parental permission from the green emergency card. You will be notified when this will take place, girls and boys will be screened separately,and girls are asked to wear a bathing suit/sports bra if desired.
· If your child is going to be absent from school, please notify the school at
732-751-2485 and follow prompts for the attendance line. When calling, please
include the student’s name, grade, and the reason for the absence. The line can be
accessed 24 hours a day for your convenience. If you have questions regarding
homework, please contact your child’s homeroom teacher directly.
· Keep us informed of any changes to phone, cell numbers or emergency contacts for your child.
· If your child requires any medication in school,including over the counter
medication, or even just the occasional use of an inhaler, a medication administration form must be submitted to the Health Office and the medication must be brought to school by a parent. Cough drops and hard candy are not permitted.
· Medication administration forms and self-medication forms can downloaded from the
· Please dress your child appropriately for the weather remembering that students do go outside for recess. Proper foot attire is requested.
· Doctor's notes are required for extended excuses from gym and for returning to gym
participation. A parent note is OK for a day or two for illness or minor injury.
· Make sure your child has a healthy breakfast before school, gets plenty of exercise after school, and has a good night's sleep each night.
Mrs. Acerra School Nurse